It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living. – David Attenborough
Sometimes all you need is a good leader.
Someone to rally the troops and give you a whisper of hope that what you believe is true and is indeed tied to your very soul. For me that is the sustainability of our environment and being as green as possible during my time on Planet Earth.
Unfortunately not everyone has the ability nor the access to become a leader but ever so often a a gem manages to shine through and put into words everything the rest of us have so often thought but could never say so well.
A speech is often the mouth piece for the rest of us, something to refer to when we feel sad or alone in our quest for a better place or time.
Of course I’m already talking to the converted over here. We already know how important our environment is, the effort we put into growing our own crops, using less plastic, recycling more or just deciding not to own a car make us the troops that put our fragile environment on the top of our lists.
However I was wondering (apart from the famous Al Gore speech), whether there were any more great speeches I was missing out on? So I went and had a look and found these really inspiring talks and speeches from people who are as passionate as we are about the environment.
Hope you like them.
Ten Speeches and Talks about Saving the Environment
- Al Gore – After ‘The Inconvenient Truth’ – Averting the Climate Crisis
- Michael Pritchard: How to make filthy water drinkable
- Alex Steffen – The route to a sustainable future
- President Obama’s Climate Change Speech: Full Text
- Okay, not many people like this next man but I am a big fan. No other member of the Royal Family has done so much to highlight environmental issues, and bring it to the forefront of national media, and I thank him for that. He’s an advocate for organic produce as well. And while many see him in a position of great privilege (which of course he is), I always think that he could have spoken and supported anything but he chose something he is clearly very passionate about – the natural world.
Prince Charles’ full speech on deforestation and climate change
- Leonardo DiCaprio at the UN: ‘Climate change is not hysteria – it’s a fact’
- Dalai Lama – Caring for the Earth
- Severn Suzuki – The Girl that Silenced the World for 5 Minutes
- Wangari Maathai: The Hummingbird
- Dianna Cohen: Tough truths about plastic pollution